Saturday, July 24, 2010

Layover in Antigua...

So for a bit of piece of mind, I decided to take a tourist minivan from San Pedro to Guatemala City instead of the chicken bus. It definitely would have been faster to take the chicken bus but I figured I had a little money to burn so I might as well feel a touch safer traveling with other tourists instead of by myself on the chicken bus. However, the shuttle first made a stop in Antigua and I had to switch buses to go on to Guatemala City. After running a block and a half, I was told that there were no more seats on the van that was leaving at that moment and that I was actually scheduled to go on the 3:30 bus. At first I was a little peeved but then I realized it was alright because I could relax a bit and check my e-mail (and post to my blog again). So, after calling Chusita (Andrea's grandmother in Guatemala City) and letting her know when I will be arriving, I headed to the familiar Café Rainbow and proceeded to check my e-mail, facebook and write this post. The stop is good because it also gives me a chance to eat a real lunch.

Last night, I resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be running anymore while I'm here so I left my running shoes (and a bunch of other things that I didn't want to carry around anymore) at the hotel in San Pedro. I re-packed my backpack and seem to have so much more room now. It's really unbelievable. I packed all of my fragile items in my carry-on backpack and stuffed my running clothes in between and on the sides of all the items. So, that left A LOT more room in my big backpack.

I also picked up a chick-lit novel at the used book store in San Pedro and read that most of last night. I didn't end up going out with the Dutch guys and the American woman because I never ran into them during the day to find out what was going on that night. Apparently, I missed quite a wild night though because the American woman was in my shuttle bus this morning and she told me all about the evening. Kinda bummed I didn't go out but I am also really glad that I got some sleep and properly re-packed my backpack. I also had to make a quick patch on the front pocket of my big backpack because en-route to San Pedro part of the fabric had torn. I bought one of those cheesy touristy flag patches, one of the Guatemalan flag, of course, and stitched it over the rip so that it didn't get any bigger. The last thing I need is for all of my underwear and bras to start flying out of my pack.

I have about 1.5 hours before my bus to Guatemala is scheduled to depart. At least it's sunny today and I can enjoy my book in the park. First, I need to run to the supermarket and pick up a bottle of hot sauce for my dear friends Jessica and Luke! The x-ray people at the airport are gonna get a real kick out of my checked luggage. A huge container of instant coffee, two bags of normal coffee beans, hot sauce, books, and a few clothes stuffed in between everything else.

Hopefully I get to post again before I leave Guatemala but we'll see. No new pictures since I was visiting the same location as three weeks ago and didn't go crazy taking pictures. I meant to take one of my hotel in San Pedro but forgot to do it before packing my camera deep in my small backpack.

Time to enjoy the beautiful weather...

No comments:

Post a Comment