Wednesday, July 7, 2010

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

My computer is back to working now. I took out the RAM and let it air out overnight in the office of my school and then put it back in this morning, making sure to sufficiently tighten the cover (I think it was loose and that's the reason the moisture got in), and then attempted to turn it on. I was fully expecting to hear those three long and very annoying beeps but no!!! I heard no beeping and the display came on. I am writing this post from my computer as we speak :-)

I was so distracted yesterday when it didn't work that my teacher and I went to a few stores in town to see if they knew what could be wrong with it. Of course, they didn't know and said I'd have to pay for a diagnostic test. It wasn't that expensive for the diagnostic, only 275 Quetzales (about $35...a bargain compared to the Geek Squad) but I thought I could figure it out on my own or just wait till I got back to the states and use my extended warranty from Apple. One of the other American's at the school was an electrical/computer engineer for a while and he helped me do some online investigating and then also take the memory out and test a few things. So, with the help of an American engineer (Thanks Adam!!), an Australian computer genius (Thanks Raj!!) and a dry office at the school, I was able to fix my computer. I will probably not use my computer much at my house anymore because of all the moisture there, but tightening the cover on the memory slots should help a lot to protect the RAM.

I went running yesterday evening, about 5k, and it felt awesome! It was a little tricky because all of Antigua is cobblestones and I felt as though I would twist my ankle with every step. But, I made it without any injury (knock on wood) and hopefully will run again tomorrow. Running here is soooo much better than the hot weather in Omaha. I could run at any time of the day and be comfortable. Too bad I'm not taking advantage of it as much as I should. Tomorrow, I will try for 5 miles instead of 5k. I'm way behind in my training but I keep telling myself that I am at a higher altitude so, any exercise that I do is twice what I would do in Omaha. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

So, here are the pictures I promised!!! They first ones are of Lago de Atitlan and the last few are of Chichicastenango. I'll try to write a bit about some of the pics so you know what you're looking at but probably won't write about every single one.


This is a beautiful waterfall we saw on the side of the road on the way to Panajachel.


Roadside view of Lago de Atitlan


Not exactly the best picture of me but I need a few pieces of evidence that I was actually in Guatemala, haha.




Boat ride on the lake...on the way to a few small villages around the lake.


Hand/foot operated weaving machine in San Antonio Palopo. This small factory was beautiful and it was really amazing to see how some of the textiles are woven by the hand/foot operated and then embellished with embroidery, also by hand. Needless to say, I bought a few things at this factory/store.


Village of San Antonio Palopo


Colorful cemetary in Guatemala with above ground vaults.


These seem to be the luxury vaults...designed in Asian, Russian, Myan and other styles.


The other end of the spectrum...graves of those who cannot afford to build large expensive vaults.


The beautiful flowers for sale on the steps of the Catholic/Indigenous/Mayan church in Chichicastenango...The rest of the market was wonderful. Of course, I bought a few things...mostly presents for people back home. I probably already said this but everyone should be expecting their Christmas presents to be from Guatemala. I had a lot of fun barganing and seeing all of the amazing textiles and other products in the market. It took about 20 minutes to buy one item but it was an adventure. You had to give a low offer and then counter offer with increases of 5 or 10 quetzales until you and the vendor met in the middle somewhere. I didn't do a great job at a few places but I'm glad I got a chance to practice at this market so that I can bargain better at other markets around the country. Although, the market at Chichi is pretty fantastic and I would love to go back.


Las Vacas-Cows for sale!!! My friend Andrea jokingly asked our tour van driver if she could buy a cow and put it in the van to take back to Antigua...he answered her very seriously, "Yes, of course! You can get two if you'd like. One can go in the back of the van and the other on top." He was also joking but it was amusing all in the same.

I'm off to figure out where my next destination will be....either one more week in Antigua or start traveling west and north to Xela and Chicaman. Hopefully I can make a decision by tomorrow afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. awww I love the pix girl! they look like postcards they are just soo pretty, enjoy your time and thanks for sharing your news! im glad the computer is up and running, ur macbook is pretty new :) xxoo

    ReplyDelete